Lost In Thought

A record of thoughts, dreams, quotes, observations...

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

But I Don't Like Snakes On My Head...

My office building has a small problem with unwanted creatures. The majority of the time it is limited to a stray mouse who has come inside searching for warmth or that stray candy bar in someone's desk drawer, but we also have bats who hang around in the parking garage and an occasional snake in the elevator by the back door.
However, whenever a new employee starts in our building, it isn't long before they hear THE creature story. The story that makes some rethink their employment. I wish I could say we are telling the story as some sort of hazing on the new person, but unfortunately it is 100% true. Snakes fall out of our ceiling. No, this doesn't happen everyday, but it has happened.
Recently it was time to tell the new girl about the snakes. (btw - this girl prompted the guy who sits next to me to send me an IM and ask if I was talking to Barbie) It just so happened that my very British friend Brian was standing there at the same time. So, I preceded to tell "Barbie" that we have had a previous incident of a snake falling from the ceiling and landing on an employee's desk while she was working. "Barbie" so eloquently replied, "but I don't like snakes on my head." (I'm assuming she thought the rest of us thought it was an employee perk!) Before I could think of an appropriate response, Brian, in his very proper British accent, replied, "that is why I carry an umbrella." I was biting the inside of my jaw to keep from laughing as I watched the wheels spin inside of "Barbie's" head as she contemplated walking the halls with an open umbrella. I assured her we had not experienced a snake drop in some time, but that she should keep an eye out as winter came closer. And, if the occasional one in the elevator bothers her, she should probably stick to the stairs.
I know I shouldn't laugh at someone else's expense. And really, I blame it all on Brian and his accent. It was funny though, and now the next time someone new starts and they hear the snake drop story, I'm sure someone will mention an umbrella. If I could just figure out a way to get HR to start putting them in the welcome bags...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Hit Counters